Specializing in nail varnishes - rare, unusual, and obscure

Monday, July 12, 2010

Strange Beautiful Volume 4 Series. Inspiration: Caribou Taxidermy


Today's manicure is two different colors from StrangeBeautiful Color Volume 4.
They are the greige (grey-beige), taupe-y, mushroom inspired, grey ones. I am presenting them together because they are complimentary colors and share the same inspiration.
Jane's Inspiration:
The gradation of color on the fur of a taxidermy caribou head

Credit due: This photo was taken from the flickr photostream of Travis S. from his set Glennallen ANGDA Survey. Thanks for all the caribou!
These are nice sedate two coat cremes. I have a few colors like this in my collection. Ever since You Don't Know Jacques, Metro Chic, and then Particuliere, it seems like greige, putty, and taupe are the modern antidote to the sometimes boring office appropriate classics - nude, french manicure, pink, and red. They are still a little sedate for me to go crazy collecting them, but they're great for interviews, office jobs, and other serious endeavors. I have included a bottle lineup for comparison. The closest match is the darker of these with OPI YDKJ, but YDKJ is a shade darker.
This mani is one coat Nubar Nu Nails, two coats of polish, and one coat of Nubar Diamont top coat.
These pictures were taken indoors with artificial light in a lightbox:


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness those colours are just beautiful. I've never heard of this range before but just checked online and you can buy sets at Liberty in the UK for £45.
    How are the polishes in terms of staying power, application etc?
    Thanks
    Amina
    http://aminasbazaar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amina - This is the first StrangeBeautiful Color Volume I've tried, so I can't speak to the formula of the others. I find these in Vol 4 to be well pigmented and generally smooth applying and opaque in 2 coats. As to lasting power, for me they last between 2 and 4 days depending on how rough I am with my hands. The pink and orange lasted particularly well through some strenuous hand-centric manual labor. I hope this helps. Top coats and base coats can make a big difference for me in lasting power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I'm going to investigate these. i linked to this post on my blog
    Amina

    ReplyDelete